Monday, March 03, 2008

Double Whammy!


Poor Sweet Pea woke up feeling really warm on Saturday. I had planned on going in to work for a little bit that day to get caught up on my work but didn't go because she wasn't feeling good - she was acting fine but then would get really clingy and cry off and on during the day. I didn't take her temperature during the day because for the most part she was still smiley/ laughing/ dancing/ romping around/ etc. I did take her temperature that evening and it was at 100.8°F but because it didn't seem to affect her or her sleep, we didn't give her any Tylenol.

On Sunday morning she was still feeling warm, so there went my plan for going in to work on Sunday instead of Saturday. It was the same story, acting fine but then would get clingy and start crying sporadically throughout the day. I took her temperature in the evening and it was 101.4°F, this time we gave her Tylenol. She was up every hour though and around 2am I finally just brought her to bed with us. She was breathing really heavy and I made up my mind then to call her doctor's office as soon as they opened in the morning (8am) to schedule an appointment.

She woke up feeling back to normal again this morning but I still wanted to bring her in to see the doctor. I called work and told my boss that I was going to schedule an appointment for Sweet Pea to see the doctor and if it turns out that she's fit as a fiddle then I'd drop her off at daycare and head into work but if not then I'd be staying at home with her.

We ended up seeing a different doctor within her pediatrician's group because her doc was fully booked and only works mornings on Mondays. The nurse asked me what was going on with Sweet Pea so I told her about the fever on Saturday and Sunday and about her breathing heavy last night. She asked if Sweet Pea had a cough/runny nose/congestion. I said yes to all 3. She then told me that it could possibly be the flu and wanted to do the swab-in-the nose test (I just made that up, I don't know what it's officially called). I told her that Sweet Pea had her flu shot but the nurse said that even with the flu shot, it's still possible that she has the flu.

Sweet Pea was NOT a happy camper with the swab up her nose!

The doc then came in and asked questions/checked her out. It turns out our little Sweet Pea has another ear infection in her right ear. This makes 3 ear infections total. The doc said she'd get me a prescription for Amoxi and that she was going to check just to make sure that Sweet Pea didn't have the flu.

A couple of minutes later she came back in and sure enough, Sweet Pea has the flu too!!! Poor baby, no wonder she had those sporadic crying bouts over the weekend!

I asked the doc about Sweet Pea getting a prescription for Amoxi since she just took a 10-day dose of it starting Jan. 29th and the doc thanked me for telling her this and said she'd get a different prescription for her. So we ended up leaving with a prescription for Tamiflu (for the flu) and Omnicef (for the ear infection).

Sweet Pea's asleep in her crib right now but it appears to be a fitful sleep, so we'll see if we all get more sleep tonight than we did last night!

And because I can't have a post without some super duper cute Sweet Pea pictures... here they are:



Sweet Pea staying cool (she loves wearing her snow boots though, if you can't tell)




Sweet Pea running to hide in her tent




our goofy little Sweet Pea!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Poor little girl. I hope she feels better soon. Cute diaper btw! FB no?

Lorelei said...

Yup, they are! In fact, this is one of the ones that I got back when you posted about that one website that was having a sale.