Well, we had planned to go to the Innerspace Cavern on Tuesday morning and then head on to Taylor for some world-class barbecue but it didn't quite work that way.
We made it to the Innerspace Cavern only to find out that several school bus-loads of kids were also there for the guided tours and that the next available tour wouldn't be until 1pm. The tours were about an hour and 15 minutes long and since Sweet Pea had a doctor's appointment that afternoon, we decided to re-schedule the Innerspace Cavern visit for a different day.
So instead, we headed on over to Taylor but took a scenic route which ended up taking us through a tiny little town out in the country called Jonah. Methinks Poppa and Jessica should move out there! That place was gorgeous - it might have something to do with the fact that I could totally see them living there with a couple of horses out in the pasture. Horses, I might add, that I could visit with and ride on a regular basis.
Anyways, we finally made it to Taylor so we could eat at Louie Mueller Barbecue. Jessica and Poppa saw something on the travel channel about this barbecue joint. It supposedly is ranked one of the top 25 barbecue joints in the world. How funny that we didn't even know about this place until Poppa mentioned it to me! Everything was really good, especially the brisket! We had a little bit of everything, including cole slaw that's unique because it's made of mayonnaise. It was some good eatin'!
Jessica took a couple of pictures while we were there:

this is the real deal!

our food was served on butcher paper

in front of the restaurant
As we were leaving, we happened to notice a "store" (it looked more like an old building than anything else) across the street that had a sign saying they sold piñatas. Of course, we were looking for an authentic piñata - not one with the pull strings - for Saturday's "piñata day" so we headed on over and Jacob picked out the piñata for Saturday. (more about that in Saturday's post)
Afterwards we all headed to our respective homes/hotel room. A little later in the afternoon, Sweet Pea and I headed to the doctor's office for her appointment. She had complained the night before of her left ear being "owwie" as I was giving her a bath and plus she was a little more clingy than usual, so I scheduled an appointment. Sure enough, she had an ear infection in her left ear so the doctor put her on antibiotics. She also set me straight on how often to give Sweet Pea her allergy medicine. Poor baby almost always has a runny nose and cough. Darn these Texas allergens! I've never had allergies my entire life until I moved to Texas and a lot of people who move here complain about the exact same thing!
But enough about that.
Today (Tuesday, the 20th) also happened to be Mark and Jen's anniversary and we volunteered to babysit for them so they could have a nice, relaxing, date night. So Poppa, Jessica, Michael and I each had a child to take care of that evening. Poppa called dibs on Jacob first, Jessica called dibs on Lauren, Michael had Sweet Pea duty and I got to take care of Andrew. The twins were absolute angels for us - that is, until Jessica decided to wake Andrew up because she was worried that he'd end up being awake all night for Jen. Tsk, tsk, tsk - the first rule is... Never wake a sleeping baby! :D
We didn't get any pictures from that evening though - at least I don't have any. But all in all it was a very good night for everyone. Sweet Pea loved playing with her cousin Jacob and seeing the babies, Poppa, Jessica, Michael and I got to spend time with all the kids and Mark and Jen got their nice, relaxing date night!



No comments:
Post a Comment