Sunday, May 03, 2009

Week 33 through Week 37

I know, I know. I haven't updated my blog in quite some time. I have a lot of posts that I need to get caught up on. We'll start with the belly pics/doctor visits.

I had my 9th doctor appointment on April 13th. Remember how I got in trouble at my last appointment for not having anything to eat? Well, I got in trouble at this appointment because I had a Pop-Tart from the vending machine right before my appointment specifically so I wouldn't get in trouble for not having anything to eat. Lo and behold, they found high levels of sugars in my urine sample. Blargh! So I got lectured on how sugar and pregnant women don't mix well and I need to stay away from the sweets. She also pointed out that I had gained 4 pounds in a mere 2 weeks. Tsk, tsk, tsk! Apart from that though, the appointment went well. As of that appointment I had gained a total of 22 pounds. My blood pressure was at 104/60 mmHG. And Sugar Bean's heartbeat was at 144 bpm.

We also scheduled an ultrasound for the following week just to determine positioning. I honestly had no idea whether or not she was head-down. With Sweet Pea I knew for certain because every morning she would have the hiccups. Not so with Sugar Bean though. We had our 35-week ultrasound on April 20th and I'm pleased to say that she is indeed head-down!

Unfortunately we didn't get any ultrasound pictures. I should've thought to ask about pictures but I didn't think of it at all until after the fact. We wouldn't have gotten any good profile shots anyways because she had both hands up in front of her face the entire time. Also, she didn't want to cooperate with the tech. Apparently she was in a funny position and wouldn't budge so the tech couldn't get a shot that she needed of her other kidney. The tech had me lay on my side and jiggled and jiggled but Sugar Bean just wouldn't budge. I guess she was comfy exactly how she was laying and no amount of jiggling would make her budge. I guess that's a good thing though! Sweet Pea was all over the place in utero and she still is quite the wiggle worm, so maybe Sugar Bean will be one of those kids who just quietly sits in one spot perfectly content. We'll see!

Everything was normal with the ultrasound although the tech said she was measuring 2 days off, but that it didn't really mean anything. She was measuring at 5 lbs 13 ozs. I thought this was on the small side, which I was pleased with because I'm still hoping to have a 6-pounder, but apparently it's a little on the big side of average for 35 weeks. At least that's what my doctor said. She told me the chances of having a 6-pounder were pretty slim unless I happened to give birth early and we don't want that!

I had my 10th appointment on April 29th and didn't get in any trouble whatsoever. Oh, by the way, I have NOT been laying off on the sweets. I think I've been eating sweets in defiance, actually. I mean, it's not like I'm going overboard with the sweets. I'm just not cutting them out. So leading up to my appointment I knew without a doubt that I'd get in trouble for my weight gain. One of my co-workers suggested that I tell my doctor that the weight gain is due to water retention. It actually worked out perfectly because on the day of my appointment, boy, did I have Fred Flintstone feet!!! My feet, ankles, legs, fingers were swollen up like balloons. So even though I gained 3 pounds since my last appointment, my doctor chalked it up to water retention and I didn't get a stern talking-to. Everything was normal at this appointment and they did the Group B Strep test, so I'll find that out by my next appointment which is next week. I'm down to weekly doctor visits now. Yikes! Also, I'm 0 dilated, so that's good. Odds are very good that Sugar Bean will wait until her due date (or hopefully a little after) to make her debut.

By the way, here's the scoop on why I'm hoping Sugar Bean will be a little late. Her due date is on the 22nd which is a Friday. The Monday after (25th) is Memorial Day. I found out that if a holiday occurs during leave, I end up getting time taken away from me that I would ordinarily be entitled to if the holiday didn't occur. Soooooo, what that means is, I need to work a full day on the 22nd and then my leave would officially begin on Tuesday, the 26th and I'd still get my holiday pay like normal. I told Michael, I'm perfectly okay with heading straight to the hospital from work if that's necessary, just as long as I get to work till 5pm on Friday. So far everyone who I've told this to just gives me a funny look and says ooooookay, we'll see how that goes for you. I'm keeping my fingers and legs crossed!

So about my 10th appointment, as of that appointment I had gained a total of 25 pounds. My blood pressure was at 110/60 mmHG and Sugar Bean's heartbeat was at 140 bpm.

On a side note, I continue to maintain the Fred Flintstone feet. I'm down to only 2 pairs of shoes that I can fit into nowadays. I so badly want a pedicure to at least make the Fred Flintstone feet look somewhat dainty. Maybe that's something that I can do on my way home from work one of the days this week. Matter of fact, I think I'll mark it on my calendar because by golly, if it's on my calendar then it will be so!

About the belly pics. I thought I was taking weekly belly pics but haven't really been doing a good job of keeping track. When I finally uploaded them on my computer today I discovered that I'm missing a pic for the 35-week belly but that's okay because I discovered that I missed my 33-week belly pic with Sweet Pea. So anyways, here are the belly pics:



33-week belly with Sugar Bean


And no comparison pic for my 33-week belly with Sweet Pea



34-week belly with Sugar Bean




34-week belly with Sweet Pea


No comparison pic for my 35-week belly with Sugar Bean



... but here's my 35-week belly with Sweet Pea




36-week belly with Sugar Bean




36-week belly with Sweet Pea




37-week belly with Sugar Bean




37-week belly with Sweet Pea

2 comments:

Mama TT said...

Why is your doctor always lecturing you? Pooh on him/her!! BTW, I can't believe Sugar Bean is already bigger than Caleb was when he was born!

Jeahlo said...

Go Sugar Bean!!
Pooh on your maternity leave policy too. Must have been dreamed up by a man, no doubt.