Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Finally Forward-Facing!

Yes, folks, Sweet Pea is finally forward-facing. I could go into a whole long post outlining exactly why I waited this long to turn Sweet Pea's car seat around but I already dedicated an entire post back in October of '07 to the benefits of rear-facing, so I won't.

If you'll recall, Sweet Pea had a Britax Decathlon which would've allowed her to remain rear-facing until she weighed 33 pounds but we had a bit of an issue with the car seat. Actually, it was a big issue. Sweet Pea, Sugar Plum and I were leaving Aunt Stace and Uncle Troy's house after an afternoon of visiting/swimming when it happened. I was getting Sweet Pea strapped into her car seat and as I tightened up the straps, the whole housing for the strap-tightener at the bottom of the car seat came flying out. I must've pulled a little bit too hard, but come on now, faulty engineering caused this and not my strength. Luckily the straps still remained taut even though the housing came out, so we headed on home.

Once I got home, I hopped online to the Britax website to see about getting a replacement part in order to fix the car seat. As it turned out, some of the replacement parts aren't available online and you have to call in the order and speak to a customer service rep.

When I called Britax the CSR helping me asked if I ever received a replacement kit for my car seat. I told her that I had not. She then looked up my info and told me that I didn't mail in my registration card. Now I know for a fact that I did. In fact, I remember pulling up to the mail box outside my workplace to put it in the mail because I did so right as I got back from the car seat safety fitting that we went to in order to have it properly installed in my truck. I explained all this to her and she was really nice about it. She saw that we turned in the registration card on the car seat that Michael has in his car, but not the one for the Decathlon. She told me that at this point, since it was already broken, they'd have to send me a replacement car seat but she needed to talk with her manager to see if they could send me the replacement at no additional charge to me since they don't have any record of ever getting my registration card.

Thankfully her manager gave her the okay to issue me a replacement car seat at no additional charge to me. Fortunately they didn't have any Decathlon's available for immediate shipping at that moment, so instead we got an upgrade! We ended up getting a Boulevard.

I had already decided that once the car seat arrived, I would install it forward-facing. True, Sweet Pea wasn't 35 pounds yet (the RF weight limit on Boulevard's) but I thought she was getting close to that point so I figured I might as well install it forward-facing rather than install it rear-facing only to have to mess with it again a little bit later.

Sweet Pea was very excited that she was going to get a new car seat. Once it arrived she was very anxious to get the box opened up so she could sit in her brand new car seat. Here are some pictures:



there it is!




she kept trying to "help" as I was taking it out of the box/plastic packaging




I gave her the go-signal to sit in it
(she was being very impatient with me taking so long to take it out of the box/plastic packaging so I told her to stand aside until I was ready for her to play with it)




strapping herself in








such joy!




I have no clue what she's saying in this picture but it was cute and I deemed it post-worthy




on the way to swim lessons, forward-facing for the very first time

No comments: