Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fun with the girls

This weekend was another fair weather "winter" weekend in the ATX, so I took advantage of it and took my girls out.

After I picked up Sweet Pea from her run club that is Friday after school (that I also coach), I decided I wanted some pho to nurse my semi-flu-like-symptoms that I'd been battling the last few days. I asked Sweet Pea if she was on board and she said yes, so away we went.

We hit our usual spot at Rosie's Pho that's near the house: it's not the best but it's the closest. I ordered my usual small bowl of steak and noodle soup, and got Sweet Pea some lo mein noodles. Her tastes are limited and fleeting, but I'm pretty sure this is safe for her.

We get our food and we start on each of our nom-noms. I'm impressed with how aptly she has become in using the chopsticks.



However, she looks over my bowl and she wants to sip some of my pho out of "that special spoon." Oddly enough they did not bring me one this time, but it now dawns on me that the last time we were here (with Mamma bear and Sugar Bear), both girls loved sipping my pho out of my spoon. So I tell her she can have some with the regular spoon that came with my pho. She kept going to town not only on the soup, but the noodles, brussel sprouts, the celery and the asparagus leaves. Never one to discourage her from enjoying good healthy food, I offered to switch my order for hers. She happily agreed.



She used her chopsticks successfully for a while, then switched back to the spoon to sip the soup. I love this girl.

Saturday while Mamma Bear was at a wedding, I decided to take the girls out. I gave Uncle CJ a call to see if he and Christian and Lelaina wanted to go with us to the most awesome comic book store and toy store Austin has to offer. They said yes so I picked them up in Azul and we headed into town.

First stop was Austin Books & Comics. This place is what a comic book store should be: huge selection, friendly and knowledgeable staff, lifesize hulk statue, and the most super hero t-shirts you can find under one roof. We got Christian some Godzilla stuff for his 4th birthday (for the weekend before), and then we headed out to our next stop.

We ventured a little further into town and stopped at Toy Joy. This place is the best toy store a parent can take their kids: they have all kinds of knick-knacks for adults and kids alike. My cutie-patootie Sugar Bear couldn't resist giving herself a hand:



We picked out some Hello Kitty stuff for the girls, more Godzilla stuff for Christian and some candy for Lelaina (it's what she wanted). From the yogurt shop that is connected to the toy store, CJ got himself a coffee and I got myself an energy drink. So now ALL the kids got something to make them happy. ;-)

No comments: