Today I went to pick up Sweet Pea from day care. Her class is usually outside on the playground when I arrive, and Sweet Pea has always been on the swings.
Today she was standing by one of the support poles for the swing set, leaning against it with her arms wrapped around it. I figure she's waiting her turn on the swing, so I didn't think anything about her just standing there so I called out to her so she could come to me. When she lifted her head and saw me, she immediately burst into tears crying, "I'm stuuuuuck!"
As she moved her arms away I looked at her shirt and noticed the sash that is part of her shirt which is supposed to be tied around her waist and knotted in the back, was now tied in the front and - yes - around the pole. I walked over and assured her that everything would be okay.
She continued to sob as I untied the double knot. I asked her how this happened, and she tearfully exclaimed that she tied it herself (I tried not to laugh at this point). During this time about 3 or 4 other girls came over and very kindly asked if she was okay. I told them that she was going to be fine and I thanked them for their concern. I walked Sweet Pea off the playground consoling her with my arm around her. The teacher said she did not realize my daughter was stuck (neither did I when I first saw her - and I can spot anything wrong [usually] right away, so I give her the benefit of the doubt). We walked to my car and I asked Sweet Pea how long she was stuck, and she said "a couple of... hours" (which is no way factually true, I'm sure). She said she cried out to the teacher but she didn't come. I told her I'm sure the teacher could not hear her over all the other kids loudly playing about in the playground.
My daughter got over it, and hopefully learned a lesson from the experience. Nothing as bad as 'A Christmas Story', but she seemed traumatized enough.



No comments:
Post a Comment