Also, you can't see them in the video, but she surprised us by sprouting 4 new top teeth all at once! So now she has a total of 14 teeth. 8 on top and 6 on the bottom. Her canines (the ones on either side of the top front 4) look like little fangs right now because just the pointy part of the toofers are poking through.
And while we're on the topic of her toofers, this child of mine absolutely positively HATES toothbrushing! Her eyes will well up with big huge tears and she will cry and cry until I finish brushing her teeth. I'm fairly certain I'm not hurting her. I know this because as I was brushing her teeth last week, there was some commotion in the hallway (I'm not sure what Michael was moving but it was noisy) and she immediately stopped her crying to jerk her head around and listen to find out what was going on (while letting me continue to brush her teeth). Then, after she was done listening, the crying just as suddenly started back up again.
We have a bedtime book and it has a picture of a little boy brushing his teeth. So for awhile there she would imitate him and I would guide her hand (as much as she'd let me without wailing) and try to do a better job of brushing her teeth. But at her 1-year well-check, her pediatrician stressed the importance of me brushing her teeth because her way probably wasn't thorough enough. I just feel so bad making her cry every night when I brush her teeth!!!
Her 15-month well-check is on Tuesday, I plan on asking the doctor again about this because it seems to me like in doing this I may inadvertently traumatize her and then she'll never want to brush her teeth on her own! I'm also thinking of maybe getting one of those battery-powered swirly little toothbrushes. I'm hoping she'll be fascinated by the swirling/spinning and will want to put the toothbrush in her mouth.
Anyways, any suggestions/thoughts on the whole toothbrushing thing (or really anything at all!) are always welcome!
Okay, enough of my long-winded post. Here's the video:



2 comments:
WOW Look at her! Wil doesn't do that yet! She is so cute!
Does she like imitating you? Dumpling loves watching us brush our teeth, and we ham it up just a bit to make him laugh. If we give him his toothbrush, he starts imitating us. He doesn't necessarily get his teeth clean, but at least he gets it going and then it's ok for us to take over. But still it's difficult cuz they're so squirmy. And if he insists on doing it himself, there's no way we can wrestle the toothbrush away. Those times I just pray that enough toothpaste touched his teeth!
Post a Comment